Re: Re: Promise FastTrack Tx2 and RedHat 8 - minor progress

> Samuel Flory <sflory@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Steve & Dee McInerney wrote:
>
> >All,
> >
> >First off I have not yet been able to successfully get RH8 up on a
> FastTrack
> >TX2 system. But I have had some minor success in getting close.
> >In the interests of helping us all slowly get there: I'll share what
> I've got
> >so far.
> >

> Have you considered:
> 1)Installing the system without the mirror, creating a mirror in the
> bios, and then switching over to the ataraid devices.

Not using a mirror: raid 0 instead.
The system actually exists, is basicially a RH7.3 system. So i'm somewhat loath
to completely wipe and restart.

> 2)Installing the system onto a single drive while the mirror is
> active.
>  Switching to F2 at the end and copying the contents of the 1st drive
> the 2nd.  Then loading the module, and mounting the ataraid device,
> and
> reinstalling your boot loader onto the ataraid device.

I've actually started down a similar path.
Grabbed an old 4Gb drive, and have installed a basic RH8 system on that.
I'll then essentially copy the new system over the top of the old - on the raid'ed
patitions.

Then re-configure all the config from backups.

Evil and kludgy, but seems the best option.

> 3)Creating 2 individual drives in the promise bios, and using
> software
> raid.  This is what I do.

Certainly a valid option, but already have the system....

>   Are you sure mknod /tmp/ataraid/d0 (and c0p1...) doesn't work.  Or
> "mknod /tmp/d0 b 114 0",  "mknod /tmp/d0p1 b 114 1"

Not so much "not sure", as wasn't aware of the possibility.
Use of MAKEDEV was very simple and easy to repeat....

>   Your issue is the installer doesn't know what to do with the
> ataraid
> devices.  You'd need to modify a bunch of code in the installer.
> Then
> you'd need to deal with the fact that the installer will want to use
> the
> actual disks as well.

granted - or bypass the installer's existing limitations somehow.

- Steve