Re: Stuck with Promise FastTrack

Once upon a time, Joseph wrote :

> There is a howto out there that tells more or less how to do that.  Look
> at tldp.org and search for ATA-RAID or visit
> http://www.murty.net/ataraid/ for the latest version of the howto.  I
> don't recommend trying to build your own kernel unless you're onsite
> with the servers.  Instead, there's a mkinitrd command you can run to
> preload ataraid and the pdc modules which ship with RH kernel rpms.
>  It's something like "mkinitrd --preload ataraid --preload pdcraid".
>  See
> https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ataraid-list/2002-September/001147.html
>
> for where this is based from.  Also make sure that the fasttrak modules
> are removed from your modules.dep file (just edit the text file) before
> you run the mkinitrd.  Then change /etc/fstab and lilo/grub as it tells
> you to in the howto at murty's.

That's more or less what I did I guess :-)
My server is currently rebooting... by the end of this email I should know
if it's able to come back online with the new kernel or if I'll need to
call someone to go have a look at the console! :-/

What I did is :

- Install the new kernel, apt-get install kernel#2.4.18-18.7.xsmp
  (it complained about not finding the FastTrak module when automatically
   creating the new initrd, obviously)
- Make an initrd for the new kernel as follows :
  mkinitrd --omit-scsi-modules --with=ataraid --with=pdcraid \
  /boot/initrd-2.4.18-18.7.xsmp.img 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp
- Edit grub.conf to add the initrd line and change the root=/dev/sda1 with
  root=/dev/ataraid/d0p1 and set the new kernel as the default

As the /etc/fstab file references all partitions from their LABEL, I didn't
touch it (actually the swap still is, but shouldn't prevent the server from
booting).

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!! My server just came back online! ;-)

That was a risky one, but it worked! Now I just need to modify the swap
entry in my /etc/fstab and I'm done.

Pheeeeew, that was risky, I love that :-)

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla) running Linux kernel 2.4.18-10acpi
Load : 0.23 0.20 0.09