Promise 20276 onboard, Bootable Raid1 and Software Raid

so.. As far as I can tell, starting with 2.4.19, the
kernel has support for 20276.

I need to set up (ideally) a bootable Raid 1 on this
box. (if not a non bootable Raid 1 would do I guess.)

This machine will only be running Linux, so no dual
boot to worry about...

Which of these two is better (performance and data
integrity wise..) ?

(I) Use the pdcraid.o module and use the /dev/ataraid
stuff...
(II) just load the PD 20276 driver as a regular ide
controller and use Linux Software Raid to make it
/dev/md0 ?

Again I am interested in performance and data
integrity..

Thx Tons..

PS : and yea tips about making a bootable raid array
with Options I or II would be appreciated. I wont be
installing Redhat, probably Gentoo or Slackware.
And If required I can install to a spare hdd on
another controller.. and then create the raid.. and
migrate the install and make it bootable..

Thx again
Ari