pdcraid with Promise RAID-only controllers?

I have an Intel SCB2A board with an onboard Promise 20267 RAID controller.

>From what I read when I was doing some searching when I initially
installed RH7.2, this is one of a few Promise-based boards that does not
contain a standard IDE BIOS and will not respond as a standard IDE
controller...only as a RAID controller.  So the only way to use it was
using the closed source fasttrack driver, since the normal IDE drivers
won't see it.

I have tried to get pdcraid working by loading the modules in Redhat's
2.4.18-10smp, and the pdcraid module will never load.  Since I've seen
people mention that it's possible to access the disks individually
using hde/etc, I'm guessing it is dependant on the controller working as a
standard IDE controller as well as a RAID controller.

Anyone else run into this?