Re: Vanishing array/filesystem....

hi,
i can empathise with you...

--- Mike Kirk <kenora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> 7+1, no spare. Boot screen
> and dmesg show they have their own IRQs and are seen
> as ide2+3, 4+5. Drives
> all show up as /dev/hde -> /dev/hdl. Each drive is
> manually jumpered to
> master or slave as appropriate (no cable select) and
> the Promise cards both
> have the latest BIOS applied.
>
> What happens is that after anywhere from 15 minutes
> to 24 hours the
> filesystem/mount point stops responding. I.E.
> /dev/md0 is ext3 mounted to
> "/export1" and anything to do with /export1 stops.
> "ls -l" never returns and
> you can't CTRL-C it. There are no /var/adm/messages
> logs. No kernel panic.
> Nothing on the console. Samba (smbd) process that is
> exporting this
> filesystem cannot be kill -9'd by root. Touching any
> drive with hdparm never
> returns and you can't CTRL-C it. But /, /boot, and
> /export2 (non-raid)
> filesystems all continue to function normally.
> /proc/mdstat shows all drives
> up "U". The box continues to function as normal
> (firewall/NAT host)
> filtering packets and hosting ssh sessions. "top"
> shows nothing spinning.
>
> I have tested this array on an Abit KT7 (Via KT133
> chipset -3x256MB pc133 -
> Athlon 1100) and a Abit KR7A (Via KT266A chipset -
> 2x512MB ddr266 - XP
> 1900+), both with latest BIOS and various memory
> timings (i.e. stock
> non-interleaved, configured by SPD, and 4-way low
> wait-state tweaks).
> Neither system is overclocked. Both run Enermax
> 430watt power supplies (2
> different models purchased a year apart). On both
> systems I tried 2.4.18
> kernel, 2.4.19rc3 and 2.4.19. I have
> shuffled/removed/replaced their network
> cards (3 different brands) and have moved the
> controllers around to various
> slots so they were/weren't sharing IRQs with other
> devices. And in both
> cases /export1 becomes unresponsive after at most 24
> hours. Copying large
> amounts of data to the partition (both locally from
> another drive, or
> remotely via samba) seems to cause it to fail
> earlier.. but I cannot
> reliably reproduce the problem.... other that it has
> never worked for more
> than a day.
>
> 5 of the 8 drives were pulled from a different host
> to make the array, and 3
> were purchased new. Individually they all pass
> running badblocks. I ran both
> systems overnight with memtest86 and no memory
> errors were found.
>
> I am stumped. The array has enough data on it I
> cannot easily reconfigure it
> try combinations of fewer drives. Every time it
> fails requires about 3 hours
> to resync and fsck on boot. Since I have tried 2
> systems I'm wondering if
> anybody has had any issues with the WD 800BB model

yes!
i posted a while back, see the archived message and a
respone from someone with problem(s) very similar to
yours at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ataraid-list&m=102915609906909&w=2

i have sifted through many lists, and it seems like it
*was* working for some people.

from 2.4.7-10 and 2.4.9-21:

//*
 *  linux/drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c        Version 0.30
 Mar. 18, 2000
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 1998-2000     Andre Hedrick
<andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 *  May be copied or modified under the terms of the
GNU General Public License
 *
 *  Promise Ultra33 cards with BIOS v1.20 through 1.28
will need this
 *  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one
card installed.
 *  Note that BIOS v1.29 is reported to fix the
problem.  Since this is
 *  safe chipset tuning, including this support is
harmless
 *
 *  Promise Ultra66 cards with BIOS v1.11 this
 *  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one
card installed.
 *
 *  Promise Ultra100 cards.
 *
 *  The latest chipset code will support the following
::
 *  Three Ultra33 controllers and 12 drives.
 *  8 are UDMA supported and 4 are limited to DMA mode
2 multi-word.
 *  The 8/4 ratio is a BIOS code limit by promise.
 *
 *  UNLESS you enable "CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST"
 *
 *

from 2.4.19:

//*
 *  linux/drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c	Version 0.32	Feb. 27,
2002
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 1998-2000	Andre Hedrick
<andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 *  May be copied or modified under the terms of the
GNU General Public License
 *
 *  Promise Ultra66 cards with BIOS v1.11 this
 *  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one
card installed.
 *
 *  Promise Ultra100 cards with BIOS v2.01 this
 *  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one
card installed.
 *
 *  Promise Ultra100TX2 with BIOS v2.10 & Ultra133TX2
with BIOS v2.20
 *  support 8 hard drives on UDMA mode.
 *
 *  Linux kernel will misunderstand FastTrak ATA-RAID
series as Ultra
 *  IDE Controller, UNLESS you enable
"CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE"
 *  That's you can use FastTrak ATA-RAID controllers
as IDE controllers.
 *
 *  History :
 *  05/22/01    v1.20 b1
 *           (1) support PDC20268
 *           (2) fix cable judge function
 *  08/22/01    v1.20 b2
 *           (1) support ATA-133 PDC20269/75
 *           (2) support UDMA Mode 6
 *           (3) fix proc report information
 *           (4) set ATA133 timing
 *           (5) fix ultra dma bit 14 selectable
 *           (6) support 32bit LBA
 *  09/11/01    v1.20 b3
 *           (1) fix eighty_ninty_three()
 *           (2) fix offset address 0x1c~0x1f
 *  10/30/01    v1.20 b4
 *           (1) fix 48bit LBA HOB bit
 *           (2) force rescan drive under PIO modes if
need
 *  11/02/01    v1.20.0.5
 *           (1) could be patched with ext3 filesystem
code
 *  11/06/01    v1.20.0.6
 *           (1) fix LBA48 drive running without
Promise controllers
 *           (2) fix LBA48 drive running under PIO
modes
 *  01/28/02    v1.20.0.6
 *           (1) release for linux IDE Group kernel
2.4.18
 *           (2) add version and controller info to
proc
 *  05/23/02    v1.20.0.7
 *           (1) disable PDC20262 running with 48bit
 *           (2) Add quirk drive lists for PDC20265/67
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Promise Technology, Inc.
 *  Author: Frank Tiernan <frankt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 *          PROMISE pdc202xx IDE Controller driver
MAINTAINERS
 *  Released under terms of General Public License
 */

from 2.5.25:

/**** vi:set ts=8 sts=8
sw=8:************************************************
 *
 *  linux/drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c        Version 0.30
 May. 28, 2002
 *
 *  Copyright (C) 1998-2000     Andre Hedrick
<andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 *  Copyright (C) 2002          Bartlomiej
Zolnierkiewicz
 *
 *  Portions Copyright (C) 1999 Promise Technology,
Inc.
 *  Author: Frank Tiernan (frankt@xxxxxxxxxxx)
 *
 *  May be copied or modified under the terms of the
GNU General Public License
 *
 *  Promise Ultra33 cards with BIOS v1.20 through 1.28
will need this
 *  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one
card installed.
 *  Note that BIOS v1.29 is reported to fix the
problem.  Since this is
 *  safe chipset tuning, including this support is
harmless
 *
 *  Promise Ultra66 cards with BIOS v1.11 this
 *  compiled into the kernel if you have more than one
card installed.
 *
 *  Promise Ultra100 cards.
 *
 *  The latest chipset code will support the following
::
 *  Three Ultra33 controllers and 12 drives.
 *  8 are UDMA supported and 4 are limited to DMA mode
2 multi-word.
 *  The 8/4 ratio is a BIOS code limit by promise.
 *
 *  UNLESS you enable "CONFIG_PDC202XX_BURST"
 *
 */

> Should I just buy a 3ware 8-port controller?
if you NEED it to work NOW and you have $$$, yes.

> Any suggestions are appreciated.

send your question to kernel mailing list

> Thanks,
>
>     Mike

> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device
> 00:11.1. Please try using
> pci=biosirq.

cheers
ryan