Re: RFC: Possible enhancement

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > After looking at the source for pdcraid.o I can see that read requests are
> > balanced across two the two disks in a RAID 1 array. For reasons I stated
> > before I think this has the potential to cause massive filesystem damage if
> > the disks go out of sync. I realize that balancing the read requests gives a
> > performance increase but I think that I would rather have data security than
> > performance. Either way it should be configurable. I will investigate a
> > patch to pdcraid.c that allows this behaviour to be configured on or off.

A better thing would be this:

The system can change between two behaviours at _runtime_:

a) Read fast, balance across disks, no checks (as it does actualy)
b) Read save, read data from both disks and compare, take the data from
e.g. disk0 if not equal and print a warning (and mark array out of sync or
whatever)

Then i would choose b) while booting and fsck-ing, a) when system is up
and in normal operation..

perhaps a /proc/pdcraid1mode?

I think this wouldnt be a big problem to code

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik