RE: why not use the promise scusi emulation driver ?

But really, how "smart" is that? Essentially you have an IDE controller pretending
to the BIOS to be a SCSI card at boot time, which can read the bootsector from
either drive?

How is it much better than a regular BIOS which lets you set HDD0 as primary,
and HDD1 as secondary boot? (Assuming your BIOS doesn't fall over if a drive
fails) You could set lilo or grub on each drive, and load an initrd with a Linux-RAID
driver and away you go fully raided with no "special" firmware. :-)

Or did I miss something?