RE: Still 20265

Hi,

I have a Promise 20276 on my board. From my experience there are 2 reasons
why you would not see it. I suspect all you will need to do is number one
since your 2 hard drives are recognize but try both otherwise.

1) You need to specify the I/O port on the kernel command line.

on Lilo it is the line

append = "ide2=0xd000,0xd402 ide3-0xd800,0xdc02 hda=ide-scsi"

forget about the last part  "hda=ide-scic", it is because I have a SCSI
drive but because you also have one, it may help you find the line. For
ide2= and ide3=, you will need to find the ports on your machines. You can
do this by going to Bash and type:

cat /proc/pci | less

Somewhere in the output you should see something similar to:

 Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
    Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology Unknown device (rev
2).
      Vendor id=105a. Device id=d30.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
 (A)  I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].
 (B)  I/O at 0x9000 [0x9001].
 (C)  I/O at 0x8800 [0x8801].
 (D)  I/O at 0x8400 [0x8401].
      I/O at 0x8000 [0x8001].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd5800000 [0xd5800000].

Please note the the letters A, B, C, and D are only for reference. These 4
lines contain the I/O addresses that you will need to make the installation
"see" your Promise ATA100 controller. These are the numbers that I have in
my /proc/pci. I assume that if you have an Asus A7V with BIOS 1003 that you
may have the same numbers. If so you can use this command:
ide2=0x9400, 0x9002 ide3=0x8800, 0x8402
If not, I will show you how to derive the LILO command that is right for
you.
The format for this ide command is easy and listed below.

ide2=A, B+2 ide3=C, D+2
When referencing the variables look at the example. On line A you see the
I/O address of 0x9400 (disregard the addresses in the brackets). You plug
that into the equation above. Then you grab the line B address and add 2 and
so on until you have all 4 variables done. Write this command down because
you will need it when you reboot.

Yoram