Abit VP6

A while ago I set up my machine to run on an abit VP6 motherboard. I actually had to trick it by using an extra harddrive as the base install, then create a patched kernel, and then move the installed directories over to new mount points on the raid drives. Certainly not something that I would prefer to do again.
So I was wondering if ataraid is a part of the official kernel yet. I realize it didn't really look like it was going to be, because of design issues, but since I haven't been staying up to date on it, I wanted to know what was happening.
Also, I was wondering if there was any stock installs that support the installation. I think I saw that Suse 8.0 supports some form of ataraid "out of the box" and I was wondering if that's true for the newer Red Hat or Mandrake installations.
Thanks for your help,
John
=:->