ECS K7VTA3 3.1 confusion

(please CC me directly, I'm not on the list yet)

http://www.ecsusa.com/ecsusa/www.ecs.com.tw/products/k7vta3_3x.htm
Promise 20265

I have this motherboard and two 10G drives on the primaries of each of the
Promise's channels.  The FastTrack BIOS refuses to *not* put the drives in
either a RAID0 or RAID1+0 array.  Linux 2.4.18 sees a single 10G hde drive.

I do *not* have the Promise RAID driver installed.

Is the RAID function working right now or not?  According to the P202xx RAID
howto (http://www.magic-lamp.org/howto/pdc20265-mandrake8.2.phtml) It
definately is not.  Yuck.

Now the HOWTO is talking about booting from this controller, which I am most
certainly not doing.

Can anyone explain what exactly is going on here?

# cat /proc/ide/hde/model
FUJITSU MPG3102AT E   [ true, that's /dev/hde, but I have no /dev/hdg ]

I am thinking I should copy all the data somewhere safe, set up the raid
mostly as outlined in the howto and then copy the data back.  Ideally I'd
like to ignore any of the semi-hardware RAID functionality the Promise
controller offers and use straight Linux software RAID.  Is that possible?

Again, please CC me directly as I'm not yet on the list.

Regards,
Andrew