Re: AW: question about raid

> > Hi, i want to use software raid1 on my redhat distribution, using kernel
> > version 2.4.18 (RH7.3). My problem is the following:
> > The raid array consits of two idendical disc drives. The root-system is
> > mounted on md0. md0 consists of /dev/hda1 and dev/hdc1. The raid works
> > o.k.. If i remove /dev/hda the system boots correct form /dev/hdc. The
> > raid now only consits of /dev/hdc, which is also correct. On a second pc i
> > have the same configuration. I work some days with the second pc. Now i
> > want to install the new software (or changes) to the first. Also, i insert
> > one of the actual disks of my second pc into the first pc. I thought this
> > pc would now boot from the newer raid disk (from my second pc). This is
> > done only sometimes. Where is my problem? Where is this boot information
> > stored? How can i control this behavior. I want boot from the newer disc.

If i can understand this, this is what you do:

You have 2 PCs both with two harddisks, both using raid1.

Now you want to insert one of the harddisks from the second pc to the
first and expect that this pc boots from this harddisk and resyncing BOTH
disks in the first pc to the contents of the new harddisk?

This sounds impossible.

I dont think the array will detect one of the (now 3?) harddisks as the
"newest" and even if it notices that the contents from this third disk
differ from the contents of the two existing, i dont think the system will
trust the contents of one new disk more than the contents of two existing
disks..

Perhaps you can describe your problem a little bit more detailed, then i
may be able to help you further.

> > And a second question. The discs seemed to be synced automaticly. Is this
> > possibel and where can i control this?

Yes.

You can use "raidhot" to do this.
Just remove the disk from the array which has to be synced and then add it
again.

Viele Grüsse,
Thorsten

--
Thorsten Jungblut
Universität Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik