question about raid

Hi, i want to use software raid1 on my redhat distribution, using kernel
version 2.4.18 (RH7.3). My problem is the following:
The raid array consits of two idendical disc drives. The root-system is
mounted on md0. md0 consists of /dev/hda1 and dev/hdc1. The raid works o.k..
If i remove /dev/hda the system boots correct form /dev/hdc. The raid now
only consits of /dev/hdc, which is also correct. On a second pc i have the
same configuration. I work some days with the second pc. Now i want to
install the new software (or changes) to the first. Also, i insert one of
the actual disks of my second pc into the first pc. I thought this pc would
now boot from the newer raid disk (from my second pc). This is done only
sometimes. Where is my problem? Where is this boot information stored? How
can i control this behavior. I want boot from the newer disc.

And a second question. The discs seemed to be synced automaticly. Is this
possibel and where can i control this?

Many thanks for any help,
Roman Jordan