Experience with ATA Raid

Hellos,

  "Who's got a broken Raid disk?"

  For about 6 months now, i been having a Promise PDC20267 (FastTrack 100) with 2 IBM-DTLA-305040 in Mirror running in a 2.4.17 kernel in a "Data Center" with temperature control, UPS's, ...
  About 2 weeks ago "disk 1" (second disk) started giving hardware errors. The Raid worked as wonders, cause, by the time I took the disk out, the system was working a-ok, while the broken disk was scratching a lot.

  This afternoon, the first disk started with the same problem. So I decided, what I should had decided before... replace the mirror with brand new high performance disks.

  ...Shop...

  In the shop, i found out that these particular disks where giving lot's of trouble. Something I already new ;)!
  The other strange thing the guy told me was that many "raid" systems where destroing disk's, and he only recommended using Raid in Linux! :)=

  I know that IDE disks are not perfect for 7/24h / 6 months of continuous work. But the price/performance justifies.

  To discover if the "sales guy" afirmation is true, I would like to know if any of you had this kind of "micro-nightmare"? Who of you had a Raid disk broke down due to extreme work?

  Any advice, idea, ... are welcome.

Notes: I have two other FastTrack100 TX2 systems working a-ok!

PS: Promise! I'm willing to accept SuperTrack ATA-100 for free! :b For investigation purposes!

Rui Lapa			                 SysAdmin
						 WebDeveloper
						 LinuxGeek