non OS RAID0

Hi
I am a new list member. I have been playing with the promise and highpoint controller cards and am still unable to get them to function with RedHat 7.3 even after following several guides.

I would like to utilize a single disk per controller to make a striped pair using the linux native ataraid(non OS). I have the boot/OS disk on the primary onboard controller of my system. The CDROM is SCSI on an adaptec 2940. What are the steps for creating the stripe set? Is it the same as creating a RAID1 set? Most all of the documentation I have found is talking about RAID1

My current testbed is:
RedHat 7.3 on an i686 w/512mb, RedHat Kernel 2.4.18-3 (custom with fasttrak support compiled in.)
Promise Fasttrak TX2, two 40g UDMA5 disks
Adaptec2940, CDROM and DAT
onboard ide0, 20G UDMA2 disk(master), ide1= no disk attached.

I had no issues re-configuring the kernel, accessing /dev/ataraid/d0 I even ran fdisk on the array and created 4 equal partitions. However, upon reboot I now get tons of I/O errors about /dev/hde and unable to read partions and complaining about sectors out of range etc. Do I really need to get the latest kernel 2.4.18 from kernel.org?

I have been messing with this thing for a while to no avail... I can now understand why so many would rather just get a cheaper non RAID capable ATA controller and just to software mirror or stripe from within the OS but, then were is the challange in that. I am not asking for anyone to do the work just point me in the right direction.

regards
jeff