Re: Ideas for Installing RH 7.3 w/ Promise FastTrak

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 04:43, Murty Rompalli wrote:

> I know some of you are trying to install RH 7.3 , Linux ataraid with
> Promise FastTrak.
>
> I have the following suggestions to achieve this; If you are trying RH7.3,
> I would appreciate your comments on these, OR anyone has better ideas!!
>

> 1. Install RH 7.3 on one disk using boot time Append Line. Then
> "repair" using Promise FastTrak BIOS (Cntrl-F) i.e., to create RAID

  This will not work as the ide driver will ignore fasttrak controller
unless the "fast feature" option is enabled. (CONFIG_PDC202XX_FORCE=y)
So you'd need a custom kernel.  Then you'd also need to update the
kernel, util-linux, and lilo packages be be able to handle ataraid
devices.  I've done this method on a Tyan 2515 with a builtin fasttrak
controller.

> 2. Mount boot.img on loop0, replace its kernel by same version BOOT kernel
> but WITH built-in ataraid/pdcraid support. Then dump boot.img to a
> floppy. Install with this boot floppy. (To prepare kernel, use
> kernel-sourceXXX-BOOT-i386.rpm, and appropriate config in configs/ )

  This doesn't really work as the RH installer doesn't know what to do
with a /dev/ataraid device.  Even if it did would try to install on the
actual drives, as well as raid devices.  Also I think you'd need to
update parted, and (s)fdisk on the cdrom as well.

  (Yes I looked into doing it, but it wasn't worth that much of my
time.)

> 3. Mess with ft.o (partial) source code rel.tgz available under LinuxBETA
> folder at ftp://ftp.promise.com/  Especially, try adding module parameters
> for IO Base1, Cntrl Base1, IO Base2, Cntrl Base2.
> Make sure you always use kernel-source-XXX-BOOT-i386.rpm and i386 config
> from configs/ directory. Otherwise you get a lot of "symbol not found".
> Then boot with CD, with Append Line (must specify IRQ in the Append Line
> to prevent crash). After you generate ft.o this way, just copy to a dos
> floppy and try to use it during installation. (mount -t vfat /tmp/fd0
> /tmp/whatever; insmod ft.o)

  What's the exact link on that.  Last I talked to Promise they weren't
releasing partial source to anyone, but OEMs.