To RAID or not to RAID?

This is my first post to this list.  First, a little background.  I've used RedHat Linux for several years.  I use Linux for a mail, dns, and webhosting.  I was looking to build a fairly reliable server that could withstand a drive failure (among other things).  I thought hardware RAID mirroring would be just the answer.  I purchased an ASUS A7V333 motherboard with onboard promise RAID (cheaper than a plain motherboard + RAID card).  I've just spent several days getting this new server built.  I then went to install Mandrake 8.2 and the install didn't recognize the array (neither did RedHat 7.2).  After several hours of searching on the web for answers I came across the excellent articles by Jinn Koriech & Murty Rompalli regarding making RAID on work on Linux (and this mail list).  I am debating whether this is really worth the extra work.  I've never rebuilt the kernel, and I'm concerned about future incompatabilities with upgrades.

I had a few questions for all of you:

1.  Would I encounter the same problems if I used a Promise RAID card instead of onboard RAID?
2.  Would Linux software RAID work without kernel rebuilds or other significant customizations?

Thanks,

Gordon