OT: hotswap comparisons

hello list,

my apologies for the slightly off topic post, but i think it has some merit. i've been lurking for a while on the list and i'm convinced that the linux software raid is superior in performance to the promise or high-point solutions, but no one seems to have addressed the most important part of the issue (in my opinion): recovery downtime.

here is my scenario. i've got a server with hot-swap ide drive bays which connect to the promise controller. i'm running the proprietary promise drivers and everything is humming along nicely. in the event that a drive fails i pull out the failed drive, pop in a new one and i'm done. no shutdown, no downtime, no special recovery tools required. i have tested this, and it does work. is this something that the linux software raid can do for me? (i know the software raid HOWTO tells you not to hotswap ide, but the bays i've got are supposed to address that issue). can i get away with just replacing the failed drive and running "raidhotadd /dev/mdX /dev/sdX" without shutting down the system?

thanks,
  twkoneafl

--
"To save the world requires faith and courage: faith in reason,
and courage to proclaim what reason shows to be true." -- Bertrand Russell

New Media Copyright Extensions Would Harm Canada: http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/icsub.html