From: "Dinamica Sonora" <dinamica@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 4:27 PM
Subject: software raid X controler raid

> Hi there list, i am new here so pls, forgive if it sounds dumb.
>
> We are going to build a couple of machines to run scientific simulations
which are CPU intensive but also need a fast disk I/O. So we would go for
RAID 0 w/ IDE drives and we would get a motherboard w/ RAID controler
onboard (the HPT 370, e.g.). But after learning better and reading the list
acrh., i have a few doubts:

> If i understood well, only DPT can do hardware RAID, all other are "more
or less" software RAID. The ataraid support is just a layer between the
requests and the physical disks.

> I mean "more" when running soft RAID, without RAID controler, since all
disk requests/management would be done by kernel using main CPU and "less"
when running w/ a RAID controler since some of the disk requests would be
handled by the controler itself (releasing the CPU). OK. but what about an
onboard RAID controler?
> Wouldn't the performance be similar for both controler RAID and soft RAID?
> So, why are there so many MOBO w/ RAID onboard? How would one
(performance) benefit from using a RAID 0 controler onboard in a Linux
system?

> Could you point me to a benchmark or comparison between plain software
RAID and RAID using onboard controler (HPT, PRomisse, etc)??