Re: Linux RAID Monitoring Program

Hi Eerin,

Thanks for your response.    The Linux server containing the Promise FastTrak
100
controller, also has an Adaptec 29160  SCSI 3  controller with 4  IBM 36 GB
SCSI disks.
The  SCSI disks are configured into 4  ( 17GB )  Linux Software Mirrored ext3
file systems,
/dev/md0 thru /dev/md3.    Fortunately everything is working fine.   I have a
system
with Linux Software RAID co-existing fine with the FastTrak 100 RAID  card
using the ataraid and pdcraid modules.

Your comment that the ATARAID module is "NOT"  fault tolerant is very
unsettling.
My primary reason for using RAID mirroring is to protect the data on the disks.

If a disk fails, the server needs to continue servicing users, until the failed
disk can be
replaced.    You are correct, the Linux Software RAID is very fault tolerant.
The Linux Software RAID's fault tolerant capability works great.

Are you certain that ATARAID is "NOT fault tolerant"  ??   If Linux crashes
when a
an IDE disk in an ATARAID array fails, then we will know immediately when a
disk fails
in the FastTrak array.    So much for needing array monitoring software.

Being fault tolerant is very important.     Are you sure that ATARAID is NOT
fault tolerant ??  ( Arjan, Does the ataraid module support a fault tolerant
RAID-1 array ?? )

If one disk fails, Will the file system on the remaining disk be OK ??
Rebooting is
inconvenient, but loosing a file system defeats the  primary reason for
investing
in RAID-1 mirroring.

Thanks,
Jim