Re: Ataraid - speeds

Kruijswijk E (FDRO Zeist) wrote:

Why the hell do you need 40MB/s throughput for.
When recordig Full Quality Digital Video, 7.5MB/s should be enough.

??????

An uncompressed PAL video stream (usually RGB in my case) takes around 30 Megs/sec without an alpha channel. (720*576*3*25 bytes/sec, exactly) If I want to get videos to the disks without dropping frames, I may need more... And there's an editing, rendering part also. Sometimes even a real 18-disk SCSI array can seem to be slow...

I have killed my RAID array, and I get 30MB/s throughput on a single disk.
But you say your drives are UDMA4 ?

I think my drives can only handle UDMA4. Specs say that.
Anyway, those "few" extra bytes (if there would be any) wouldn't be a solution, even "worse", Window$ can do more than 65Megs. (sustained block read)

So that is ATA66, you'll never get the troughput you want.

Please, don't say that. Pleeease!

The drives should be using UDMA5 on a ATA100 controller. See if you can set
the drives to that speed on the controller.

I've read something about the GPL driver saying that this driver is for solving compatibility issues only, and telling me that if I wanted fast disks, I should use swraid. It also said, that it doesn't access disks parallely, only one by one. That may be the reason for sluggish performance. It was some readme or so, as I remember. I don't like the smell of it.

> > Goodluck, > > Erik Kruijswijk >

Thanks. I always need it...

One more thing:

I'm not really tied to GPL, so I'd gladly use those binary-only drivers, if only I knew how I can... I'm using debian and I like it. I don't want to switch distro. I keep browsing the net for a solution, but I could find none. (there was one that worked for some 2.2 kernels, but I couldn't find it anymore and I can't remember it)

Can anyone help? At least with ideas?

I'm trying really hard getting rid of window$.

radafuk