Re: RAID 0 reports errors

> I have exactly the same problem with RAID 0 promise 20265.
> Booting with redhat on the "spare" drive takes for ever.

Huh ! You have root filesystem on ATA disk array ? But this kernel driver is ony in
0.0.1 version.

> I checked dmesg: it is saturated by those error messages(similar to the one
> below).

Thi means not HW, but SW probems.

> I did a bonnie++ benchmark--> I hardly get a 10MB sec in read block mode on
> the RAID 0 partition.

I did a very simple "benchmark" :
# cat /dev/ataraid/d0 >/dev/null

(whole 120 GB array had been copied into black hole).

a) With the "normal" setting (i.e. settings hd params made system, but one disk
reports errors and was not be set proiperly) this test not finished during 3 hours.

b) When I set up hd params of "first" disk in array manualy, the operation was done in
54 minutes -> reading sped is about 36MiB per sec. This is not too much, because
this disk in single mode can read about 29 MiB/s. But speed of array is rather good.

Mirosav BENES
system administrator
TENEZ a.s.
Chotebor