Re: MSI (Microstar) onboard RAID controller.

Per Gustav Ousdal <ousdal-ml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is anyone here familiar with the onboard RAID controllers
> on the MSI K7(T) motherboards?

That's what I'm using now. It was a bit tricky to install...
I recommend to do a clean install of a recent Linux distribution
on a standalone hard drive, with both the normal IDE controller
and the raid controller active in the BIOS. Linux should see your
hard drive as hde, not hda, but that's not a problem because the
BIOS still think hde is the first hard drive (hda to hdd are on
the RAID controller). I had to recompile the ataraid drivers from
the source (MSI uses a Promise raid controller, so pdcraid is the
driver you'll need). I also compiled the special version of lilo.
Follow the instructions in the ataraid howto. When your raid is
working, make a special version of the initrd boot image to preload
the ataraid and the pdcraid modules (see the mkinitrd manual). At
boot, those modules should be loaded first (make sure with lsmod).
You're can now create partitions on the raid and clone your Linux
installation. Ajust /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab on the raid
root partition and install the boot loader with lilo -R.  To boot
on your raid, disable booting from all IDE drive and make sure the
"try other drives" is activated (in the bios). Instead of booting
from the first hard drive the bios should try to boot from the first
raid partition. That's it...  Then create a custom rescue cd in case
something goes wrong (http://rescuecd.sourceforge.net/).

Good luck
Marc