Re: Install Redhat 7.2 with HPT 370

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wojtek Pilorz" <wpilorz@xxxxxx>
To: "Warren Togami" <warren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ataraid-list@xxxxxxxxxx>; "oogie" <oogie@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: Install Redhat 7.2 with HPT 370

> So if one is not forced to use HPT BIOS-supported RAID (as far as I heard
some
> M$ systems require this), why bother with all those binary-only drivers
and so
> on?

Yes, no one is forced to use the crappy "hardware" HPT or PDC RAID.  I've
been telling the same thing to a few of the folks here.  Linux software RAID
is just plain better.

However, you can't use Linux software RAID and NT software RAID
simultaneously on the same disks.  I want to dual boot between the two
operating systems, so I went through the trouble of installing RH 7.2 from a
non-RAID disk.  It works fine now.

I later tried to make driver disks for 7.2 to install directly to help other
folks out, but I'm quite sure it is not possible with /dev/ataraid devices.
Binary-only /dev/sda devices that will probably come later should allow
direct installation, then you could manually switch it over to /dev/ataraid
later.