Re: installing grub to mbr of raid0 hpt370 array

Yes I am booting from the grub-0.90 ext2 image from the grub ftp written to a floppy. I can boot linux fine with the floppy, but can't install grub into the MBR because it corrupts my stripe array. In case it's relevant this is on an Epox 8k7a+ with onboard hpt370a controller. I just updated the bios to release a1a17 from october 17, but grub still won't install nicely. =(

    --lordjoe

I have the same onboard controller and had no problems to install grub to the array. Here ist what I did, maybe it can help:
-I copied stage1 and stage2 to a ext2 partition hd0,6 (/dev/ataraid/d0p6 2nd logical partition)
-My Windows partition is hd0,0 and my Linux partition is hd0,5 (/dev/ataraid/d0p7)
-boot with a grub floppy made with "cat stage1 stage2 > /dev/fd0"
-My grub menu file is located on my document partition hd0,2 (FAT32, 1st logical partition)
-install grub to the array with the following command at the grub boot prompt: "install (hd0,6)/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0,6)/grub/stage2 (hd0,2)/grubmenu"

This worked for me, and I see now reason, why it should not work for you too. It can´t be a driver issue because there is no driver loaded, but maybe it is a problem of the HPT BIOS. I use a patched version for my KT7-RAID with the newest HPT BIOS version 2.0.1008. You can find a BIOS for your board at www.biosmods.com.

Greetings Helge Lenz.