Promise ATA-RAID - Please help

Config:
MSI K7T266 PRO-R mainboard, with Promise 20265 FastTrak Lite onboard
2 IBM 40GB disks, connected to RAID-controller, set up as Mirror in FastTrak
BIOS
CD-ROM is at ide-0
Mandrake Linux 8.1 (I have also tried RedHat 7.1)
I want to run RAID 1 Mirror

What I have done that (almost) works:
During install i configured both hda and hdc with two partitions, both RAID
type.
Then I mount /boot on md0 and / on md1
I finish the install, and boot from md0.
This actually works. The reason for using Mandrake 8.1 is that I already
tried a lot with RedHat and hopet for better support in the newer Mandrake
8.1.

When i disconnect one drive, I get kernel panic. So I guess this solution
isn't the right one. What have I really done? Is this sowtvare RAID or what?

I install from scratch, and want to boot from the RAID.
What is the best way to do this? I've read the other posting, but I'm not
sure what solution to go for.

Also, I have experienced some strange things:
I disconnect one drive, run dos fdisk and remove all partitions from the
remaining drive.
Then I boot with both drives. FastTrak BIOS warns me that the array is not
functioning (of course). But when I enter the FastTrak utilities an try to
rebuild the array, I get an error. I cannot duplicate the disk. Why?

Regards,
Kristoffer