Re: Ataraid-list digest, Vol 1 #62 - 3 msgs

On 13 Oct 2001, at 12:01, ataraid-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 01:34:44PM -0400, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> > B. Hulsken wrote:
> >

> > >I have a highpoint 2x30GB raid array (with ataraid in kernel 2.4.12) and booting
> > >works fine with the patched lilo version. Linux runs nicely until it starts
> > >using the swap(I have 512MB memory). When linux starts swapping the entire
> > >system freezes for a few seconds, and then it unfreezes again. This
> > >freezing/unfreezing happens once or twice every minute. Whats happening?
> > >
> > I also have this problem using the XFS file system.
> > Maybe the ataraid drivers are working only with ext2/3 partitions...
>
> the problem is slightly different. The RAID layer needs to allocate a bit of
> memory during writes, and this doesn't go too well when the VM is low on
> memory and swapping out.
>
> XFS is a different story; it needs to allocate memory on write outs as well,
> making this even worse...

Ok. So how much memory are we talking about. Can it be reserved
on boot during driver init? I suppose the md driver has the same
problem, it should allocate some memory during writes, how is it
solved there? This is a big problem, because no matter how much
memory you have it allways gets filled with diskcache, for me this
implies that the system is unusable after the slocate database
gets updated (and caching 100gb of files). Ill take a look at the
ataraid & md sources, maybe a quick solution is possible. I dont
have the time for (re)writing a complete device driver unfortunately.

Bas