e2fsck (v1.19) crashes when checking fs on /dev/ataraid/d0p2

Arjan and others,

First I'd like to thank Arjan for all this work, in spite of the lack of support from the Promise folks. I'm surprised that they weren't more willing to work with the Linux development structure in making drivers available -- seems like a lot of work to do on their own, knowing that their code will never find its way to the kernel source tree.

The Short of it:

has anyone had any problems with e2fsck in checking their filesystem(s) on /dev/ataraid/d*p* ?

The Long of it:

In any case, with Arjan's help a while back I was able to get my hacked Ultra66 card working with my 2x40GB Maxtors... everything seemed to be fine until recently, the machine went down on a power outage (long enough to kill my UPS), and now I can't get the volume back up. On boot, fsck gets about 10-15% of the way through the filesystem, then goes kablooey:

Oops:  0002id/d0p2:  |=====                         /  15.3%
CPU:      0
EIP:        0010:[<c0127c4f>]
EFLAGS:  00010082
/* snip */
Process fsck.ext2 (pid:113, stackpage=c86c9000)
<  let me know what of this might be useful >

Now, unfortunately, I'm not teriibly confident about my other hardware... I picked up a Fry's special FIC VA503+ w/ a K62/550, and I learned later that the 503+ has many issues with memory and is generally difficult to set up. There is a chance that this new hardware is giving me trouble. I can say that everything seemed to work fine, until I needed to do an fsck on this volume.

Here's a quick rundown of what my system looks like:

FIC 503+, K62/550, 2x128MB DIMM, ATI rage128 AGP, some cheap sound card
ultra66/fastrak66 bios version 1.08  (stock from the hack instructions)

mandrake linux 7.2, kernel 2.4.6-ac5
e2fsck version 1.19
ext2 version 0.5b

Thanks in advance for any f/b.