Problems with the Promise Fastrak100 and 2.4.8-ac7

I have done the following:

1/ Applied the ac7 patch to the 2.4.8 kernel source and then compiled - that
worked fine.
2/ Made the devices, i.e., /dev/ataraid/*

Originally I had 3 [identical] drives connected as Stripe/Raid 0. Due to
some hardware problems, I had to have one of the hard drives replaced and
the
vendor configured the machine as:

(a) Stripe/Raid 0 for the remaining identical drives
(b) Stripe/Raid 0 for the new drive

The vendor did this, as the machine is about 6.5 months old and is under
warranty. IBM, the hard drive manufacturing no longer makes this version of
the hard drive - hence the need for different configuration.

Now when I try the kernel:

Drive 0 58644 MB
Drive 1 58644 MB

I can see the new drive partitions OK. However, for the big drive (the 2
identical drives) the partition information doesn't make sense. Linux "sees"
this as /dev/hde and /dev/hdg. The first couple of partitions on /dev/hde
look fine, but the linux ext2 partition bridges both drives. Where the ext2
partition starts on /dev/hde it cannot figure out what type of partition it
is. As for /dev/hdg, the Linux fdisk cannot even tell what kind of partition
info there is.

looking in /proc/partitions, I see:

Major:114 Minor:1 ataraid/disc0/part1
Major:114 Minor:2 ataraid/disc0/part2

I guess it would help if I had managed to get the fdisk -l output and put in
this message - unfortunately I don't have it.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

BTW, what is this about patching lilo?

Alan Miles
Programmer/Analyst