Re: Some questions

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 11:59:20PM +0200, Greg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried to compile ataraid under RH7 and kernel 2.4.6, but
> in this kernel, the GFP_BUFFER def has disappeared...

Indeed. I'll fix the driver on the site tomorrow.

> I would like to try with the recommended 2.4.6-ac kernel
> and would like to know what mean 'ac' ?

It's the Alan Cox kernel patch, from

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/v2.4/patch-2.4.6-ac2.gz

> What i have understood is that booting on a raid array
> is not proved to work ... that means there is a chance
> it does ;-)

I haven't tried it yet. Ever.

> >From http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/promisehowto71/,
> i read
>
> "I disagree with how these are put together (they just treat the
>  FastTrak card as an IDE device, not a SCSI device), but they will
>  do the trick for users who need open source drivers. "
>
> What does it mean ? Is it a bad thing that the card is being seen
> as an IDE device ?

It's not seen as an IDE device. It's seen as a special ATA Raid device.
THis means that the kernel won't try to make scsi commands to it, and the
driver doesn't have to decode scsi commands and make new IDE commands...

I therefore disagree with the article on thedukeofurl in this respect.

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven