Use ARI to route a channel or bridge to res_speech?

I am building an app using ARI (from python, using ari-py)

One of the goals is to be able to send a channel or bridge to a speech
to text interface.

I see the speech recognition API from res_speech. That appears to be
implemented as a dialplan.
I don't see anything in the ARI documentation about connecting channels
to dialplans, or how that would work.

So can res_speech be used from an ARI app? If so, how?
If not, what is the best way to accomplish my goal, which is to be able
to dynamically send a channel to external speech recognition software?

My first thought would be to try to establish an outbound SIP
connection to it. But that sounds cumbersome compared to directly
calling speech to text from inside of asterisk.

Another though is maybe the channel recording interface can send a
feed?

Kevin Seghetti: E-Mail: kts@xxxxxxxxxxx, HTTP: www.tenetti.org
GPG public key: http://wiki.tenetti.org/bin/view/KevinSeghetti/GPGKey
Copyright is a temporary loan from the public domain, not property