Re: Standardization of Case for ARI URIs

On 22/01/14 11:37, Daniel Jenkins wrote:
Oh go on then, I'll chip in a little more than just +1'ing Paul,

URLs should be case sensitive, I think we've settled on that now

No. I think we've settled on sensitive and lowercase whenever (easily) possible. And case sensitive for the parts that matter.

Just because the RFC says that URLs are case sensitive, does not mean that the RFC forbids aliases.

I'd prefer for SIP technology and any technology to be lowercase in the
url but if that's a crazy amount of work right now, then I'm fine with
it being Upper, or whatever the technology is set to within Asterisk,

The point is, that if you make the decision to stick with UPPERTECH you'll have a hard time switching later.

If we settle for these rules, we are forward compatible with an optional lowertech future:

- case sensitive (usually lowercase) everywhere,
- except technology names, which are case insensitive and have an uppercase canonical form (for now)

If we then later decide to make lowertech the canonical form -- for starters by updating lots of json output everywhere -- newer scripts that use lowertech will still work on older ari versions.

Walter