Implementation of ChanSpy functionality in ARI

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:

> So, as Matt mentioned I do think the descriptions for these tasks in JIRA
> is going to change and here's why! Dun dun dun.
>
> As I'm looking at implementing the functionality I'm unhappy with the
> thought of simply making Chanspy available over ARI. This is going down the
> same road as the /dial operation was. I've taken a step back and actually
> looked at what I mentioned awhile ago and how feasible it is... and I'd
> like to go further down that road!
>
> I'd like to expose a /snoop operation (although I'm open to changing the
> name... I just wanted something to encompass both spy and whisper) on
> channels. This operation would accept a direction for spying and a
> direction for whispering. Of course "none" would be an option for both in
> case you don't want to do them. This operation would internally create a
> Snoop channel which snoops on another channel (oddly enough). Anything
> written to it is whispered to the other channel (if a direction is
> specified) and anything read from it is the spied audio (if a direction is
> specified). The operation would also accept the name of a Stasis
> application and optionally some arguments. The Snoop channel would be
> placed into this app. The operation would return a snapshot of this Snoop
> channel.
>
> Why this way?
>
> ULTIMATE POWER! By ultimate power I mean since this is a channel in your
> Stasis application you can do anything to it that can be done with a
> channel. Monitoring becomes creating a snoop channel and calling record on
> it. Whispering or live monitoring becomes creating a snoop channel,
> creating a bridge, and putting another channel in the bridge. Whispering
> media becomes creating a snoop channel and calling playback on it.
>
> Thoughts?

{quote}
Whispering or live monitoring becomes creating a snoop channel, creating a
bridge, and putting another channel in the bridge.
{quote}

Do you envision the /snoop operation working on multiple channel
technologies? Or is the snoop-ing channel a specific technology? The way
that's worded, it makes it sound as if you could not use one SIP channel to
snoop on another SIP channel directly.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager