Question on Asterisk API or SDK

Hello new group members!

I'm very new to Asterisk development and having a hard time finding any API
documentation. Can someone point me to any SDK or API documentation? I have
a client that uses Asterisk and wants me to write an application that would
allow a SIP phone connected to Asterisk to query a database using the
caller's phone number when the phone is picked up... basically a cell
center situation where picking up the phone would trigger their workstation
to query a customer database and pull up their account if it was in the
system.

Does this sound like something I could accomplish via the Asterisk API or
SDK?

Thanks and really looking forward to learning more from this group!

Josh Boddiford
Boddiford Consulting LLC