Re: Strange audio artifacts with BOSS GT-1000CORE

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 01:51:46PM +0000, Mark Raynsford wrote:

> Unfortunately, there seems to be some kind of odd distortion. This
> is a capture of a raw DI signal from the BOSS:
>
>   https://ataxia.io7m.com/2023/01/14/noiseissue.flac
>
> There's something odd happening in the high frequency range.

Can't hear anything suspect... Also looking at the waveform and
spectrum doesn't show any problem.

The problem could be in the playback chain.
Do you hear the distortion when playing back the file ?
What do you use to record / listen to it ?

> It almost sounds a bit like some kind of resampling artifact.

How would that sound ?

> Does anyone know what could be causing this and/or how I could track it
> down?

Try 48000 sample rate.
Try using Jack instead of Pipewire.

The 'specs' of the device don't seem to have any meaningful technical
content, just marketing blabla. And when I see '32 bit AD/DA', all
alarms go off. [1]

[1] For an analog signal to have the S/N ratio that 32 bit (in
theory) provides, it would need to have a power of more than
one kilowatt.

Ciao,

--
FA