Re: JACK 1: extreme CPU usage (since update from 5.0 kernel)

I realized, that I wrote some inconsistent stuff in regards to IRQ
tuning last night, which I'd like to clarify.

On 2019-08-06 00:12:18 (+0200), David Runge wrote:
> On a realtime kernel you can set the maximum RTPRIO higher than the
> lower halves (higher than 50) with the `-P` flag.
> Check `man 1 jackd` for more info.
To extend this: The systemd user unit needs to allow for it to happen
(see LimitRTPRIO, LimitRTTIME and LimitMEMLOCK in `man systemd.exec`)
and your user must be allowed to actually do this as well (e.g. by using
the realtime-privileges package - which is Arch specific! - and adding
your user to the 'realtime' group).

> No worries. Usually, there's really not much needed, besides a
> realtime kernel and starting jackd with a reasonably high RTPRIO.
> I currently use this systemd user unit [2] and these environment
> configs [3] (depending on hardware).
Note: If your audio hardware IRQs have a lower RTPRIO, than jackd (e.g.
your audio card runs at 50, but you start jackd at 80), this *will* lead
to problems! Ordering is important when tuning IRQs!

Again: The Arch Wiki really lacks info on all of this.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de