Re: JACK 1: extreme CPU usage (since update from 5.0 kernel)

Hi David,
thanks for your great and fast reply. I'd like to go through it, maybe
we could delve into it together a bit more?
Aug 5 2019, David Runge has written:
How do you start jack?
My own systemd service as:
jackd -R --timeout 4500 -d alsa -C cdelta -P pdelta -r 48000 -n 3 -p 256
-z shaped
Is it the same with jack2?
Never tried, since it's not been recommended for a long time and used to
be heavily integrated with dbus.
Trying iotop, have to figure out a few settings for better readabililty
with my braille display. Could be quite useful.

You can try with linux-rt and/or linux-rt-lts.
Do they also support schedutil, mostly my system is quite idle. :)
Thanks for the package!
Regarding irqs: no shared irq, the soundcards are at 18 and 19. No rtirq
not irqbalance. Would it help with that situation?
That's not a superlot of RAM, but you also don't have any hungry GUIs
:-)
Definitely not! :)
top
KiB Mem :  3780140 total,   587016 free,   399196 used,  2793928
buff/cache
KiB Swap:  4194300 total,  4167676 free,    26624 used.  3072468 avail
Mem
Do you use amd-ucode? Which bootloader do you use?
grub2-pc (no uEFI) and no amd-ucore yet. If threatened with your life
for an estimated impact (ballpark figure), what would you say for the
amd-ucode?
So, you're saying, that you're using two soundcards?
That could in theory be a problem (at least to performance).
Yes, two soundcards, sync'ed amongst each other by SP/DIF, the first one
clocked/sync'ed from external SP/DIF. Can't do anything about it, too
many synths. :)
Not that that's a reason: but it has worked for years, starting with
2.6.3x kernels and was easy enough to setup on my first Arch install in
2015 or so.
Once again, thanks for your pragmatic and concise answer. I am sorry to
take up more time. I'm really a little out of my usual water here.
Haven't felt a need in a long time to tune my system on that level. This
is good in general and bad for the case in hand. :(

Best wishes,

Jeanette

 * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

There's a girl in the mirror