Re: New additions since some time this year

On 2018-11-25 13:25:40 (+0100), SpotlightKid wrote:
> Am 21.11.18 um 15:17 schrieb David Runge:
> > I'm not allowed to package the steinberg-sdk stuff,
>
> Can you post a link to the reason so I can point people to it (e.g. just
> had a question on the giada-vst AUR page, why VST support isn't included
> in the community package)?
I'm not allowed to redistribute the Steinberg SDK (as a package),
because of licensing issues [1].
Downloading it every time for every package is an option, but the SDK is
a moving target, tarball/versioning sucks and their folder structure is
a mess, too. This would create a factory of problems.

If a project wants to build vst2 on Linux, the less painful way seems to
be to use one of the alternatives mentioned in the wiki article.
Developers might also want to have a look into DPF [2].

I tried to get in touch with Steinberg finding a way to get an
exception, agreement, or whatever, but never got past 1st level support
(aka Tier 1) and them wanting me to sign some useless blah (from their
point of view they don't support Linux and don't care).

AFAIK, VST2 support in their SDK is also supposed to be dropped soonish
(I don't really follow any of their business movements, so if anyone can
present some real data on that, that would be great - else take it as
hearsay).

Just uploading anything Steinberg related to the repos is asking for
trouble (when keeping in mind this year's DMCAs on github against Robin
Gareus and the Csound project [3], amongst others).

That being said: Steinberg is hard at work deprecating VST2 using any
means possible and I certainly don't plan on standing in the way (they
probably have a closet full of attorneys).

Best,
David

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio#Restricted_software
[2] https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF