Re: package gcr breaks real-time settings

On 2018-09-02 17:44:16 (+0200), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Since arch general is under moderation, I forward a mail to this list.
> Instead of shooting the developer/s who introduced the concept
> of drop-in directories IMO an announcement would be appropriate.
I wonder why that is ;-)

> Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 17:36:29 +0200
> From: Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet@xxxxxxxx>
> To: arch-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [arch-general] users memlock value
>

> On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 16:02:37 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 14:02:42 +0200, David Runge wrote:
> >>Also, please don't double post your issues. Give people time to
> >>actually respond. No need to post to arch-general, if you brought this
> >>up before. This is not an instant messenger service.
> >
> >PS: Independent of what is required for a realtime (or the old audio)
> >group and that there is no issue when using
> >limits.d/file_with_a_higher_number.conf , I still question that
> >'@users - memlock 1024' should be set by package. I doubt that a
> >default 'memlock 1024' for the 'users' group is a good choice at all.
>
> PPS: And I forgot to mention, what Fons' pointed out and actually was
> the issue that I experienced:
>
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2018 16:55:49 +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> >But that effectively means you need to opt out of whatever some
> >'vendor' pushes down your throat. Not once, but everytime you update.
>
> The link to the complete message:
> https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-proaudio/2018-September/000201.html
>
> So at least an announcement via
> https://lists.archlinux.org/listinfo/arch-announce should be considered.
I'm unsure I understand what you're writing about here.
We all have been using dropin files with the jack/jack2 package for many
years (where one had to add their users to the audio group, too, to
access hardware - and ugly enough realtime in the same vein).

The realtime-privileges package is a new optional dependency (and is
flagged as such during upgrade of jack/jack2). Users and admins are
supposed to read what happens during system upgrade. I can't help people
reading!
Therefore, there is no need for any announcement here, as this is all
completely non-mandatory (optional dependency), too!
What makes you think anyone would read an announcement, if that person
doesn't read an upgrade message?

If this [1] is not enough, I don't know what is.

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-proaudio/2018-August/000191.html

--
https://sleepmap.de