Re: PS: virtualbox 7.0.16 and Windows 11 guest

On 4/18/24 03:21, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
At next I started the Windows 11 guest, upgraded the guest additions and
restarted the Windows 11 guest. The next step was to shutdown the
Windows 11 guest. It seems to be unable to finish the shutdown, but at
least the host isn't locked yet.

The Window title bar shows "[Stopping]" and the Window contend is a
black screen.

You are far braver than I. I'm still running 6.50, but have no Win11 - and no problems. I'll get to 7x as soon as I have time to set aside to go through what you are going through.

In the past on both 5x and 6x I've run into "windows hangs on shutdown" issues with virtualbox. I've straced the sessions and sent that info to the vbox devs and there hasn't been a "this is the problem, we can fix it moment". However, I've not experienced one of those hang on shutdown issues in a long time (year or so). All guests are Win10, Win7 (even old XP), Arch, SuSE, and a smattering of stray distros.

One issue I do recall that caused some issues in the 5x - 6x change was the default video driver vbox uses. I've had less problems sticking with the legacy driver running vbox on Linux. At least worth a check to see if that may be a subtle issue, if only part of the problem.

Good luck, and drop many breadcrumbs for those that are following behind you ...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.