Re: An Intro from A Debian User

On 4/6/24 14:45, Chime Hart wrote:
ell, 2nd try, as I must have posted to the subscription address instead.
I am still running Debian SID on my main machine with a screen-reader, Speakup, as I am totally blind. Meanwhile, I wanted to try a newer screen-reader, called Fenrir on a laptop. So, we switched over to Arch. While at times I find the 2 package managers confusing, I like an aspect of a much newer kernel. An issue, I cannot find a smaller font which will provide many more lines. So far only 67, but when I was in Debian with this same laptop, I had 135. Can any1 please suggest a font which will do the trick? Storm, who maintains Fenrir says I would need a font which supports utf8, so Fenrir will read. I am having glowing support from Storm as well as Didier, an author of Slint, another accessable distro. Thanks so much in advance
Chime

You are in luck!

Arch has a wide selection of fonts to choose from. In fact the standard fonts, DeJavu or Droid font render well at 5 or 6 px which would easily give 135 lines or so. You can simply search with pacman on "ttf" and obtain the literally hundreds of true-type fonts available to install. To search for the font packages alone, simply use:

pacman -Ssq

(the addition -q removes the indented line of discription which I find distracting when scanning through the list)

After you have a handful you are considering just run

pacman -Ss your list of fonts here

and you will get the package name and full description. (much easier to make sense of a dozen or so packages and descriptions that 200 with the descriptions sprawled all over the screen.

Between the two package managers Apt and pacman, I've found pacman much simpler to use and much more user friendly. No need to remember what you can do in Apt and what you need dkpg for. With Arch, it's all pacman and its sub-functions. (which are quite logical and easy to use) From a screenreader standpoint, all of the pacman features have well-written help files, so simply typing, for example:

pacman -S -h

Will output a concise list of option for usage of the repository sync function which should be able to be read quite well by your reader.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.