Re: Which Emacs package?

On 2024-03-30 at 19:26:32 +0100,
"Abraham S.A.H." <arash.sah@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are many Emacs packages available across Arch repositories and AUR.
>
> I list some of them here, in no specific order:
>
> >From Extra repository:
> * emacs
> * emacs-wayland
> * emacs-nativecomp
> * emacs-nox
>
> >From AUR and some third party repositories:
> * emacs-lucid-nativecomp
> * emacs-git
> * chaotic-aur/emacs-pgtk-native-comp-git
>
> I do not explain any of them for details. My audience is the one who already tried them, so can give me some advice.
>
> I already have tried all of them and also read archwiki's Emacs article.  The Lucid one seems like the most stable with the least bugs, but with an archaic UI and without dnd support, but I do not use those scroll/menu/toolbars.
>
> Please, if you have any experience, share it with me.

I'm not exactly what you're looking for, from Emacs or from the mailing
list.  Is an archaic UI good or bad?  Is drag-n-drop required?  What
kind of experience do you want me to share?

I've been using Emacs since the 1980s (before X11, and on a wide variety
of OSes).  I've settled on the AUR's emacs-lucid.  I agree that the UI
is arguably archaic by today's eye-candy and must-be-animated standards,
but I find it very clean and very responsive.

I turn off the toolbars and menubars.  I tried them in the past, but my
fingers can (and do!) do things before my brain can think to use the
toolbars and the menubars.

I don't use drag-n-drop.  The less I have to move my hands away from the
keyboard, the better.

I look at the scroll bars to get an idea of where I am in a file and how
big the file is, but I never use them to scroll the text.

HTH