Re: `makepkg` generates two packages

On 3/7/24 06:10, Christian Heusel wrote:

This was introduced with the following change in pacman[0], see the
documentation for the 'debug' option in makepkg.conf(5):

debug
     Add the user-specified debug flags as specified in
     DEBUG_CFLAGS and DEBUG_CXXFLAGS to their counterpart
     buildflags. Creates a separate package containing the debug
     symbols when used with ‘strip’.

So if you want to disable this behaviour you'll have to disable that
option in the config.

regards, lacsaP.

regards,
gromit

[0]: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/pacman/-/merge_requests/1/diffs#9817c069c08d6f08baeb3d014d2c1195bcfa2e2a_96_97

New features are generally something that can be enabled if wanted, not something that is forced on an existing build system. For those building packages, they are quite familiar with how to generate a debug package if wanted -- I for one have no use for them and having my system suddenly start generating unwanted debug packages in an unwelcomed surprise.

Granted, they are easy enough to disable, but the recent "surprise" changes seem to fly in the face of the Arch "KISS" philosophy.

It would seem the far better approach would be to announce the new feature along with the notice to remove the '!' before debug in makepkg.conf rather than foisting the debug packages on everyone and having those that don't want them go re-add the '!' where it was before.

Just my $.02, not a complaint, just an observation.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.