Re: `makepkg` generates two packages

Le jeu. 7 mars 2024 à 15:15, Ryan Petris <ryan@xxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
On Thu, Mar 7, 2024, at 6:45 AM, Martin Rys wrote:
If you had the configuration autoreplaced it would mean you never edited it - in which case you'd be building packages on a single thread... Surely not?

Martin

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024, 14:41 Ryan Petris <ryan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 7, 2024, at 4:38 AM, Robin Candau wrote:
On 3/7/24 12:34, lacsaP Patatetom wrote:
> hi,
Hi,

> when I run `makepkg`, it generates a second package with the `-debug`
> "extension" (eg. `mypackage-w.x.y-z-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst` and
> `mypackage-debug-w.x.y-z-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst`).

> I couldn't find anything about this on the wiki : is this a new feature
> and/or is there a parameter to pass to `makepkg` to avoid building it ?

Debug packages have been introduced in Arch in early 2022.

--
Regards,
Robin Candau / Antiz

Attachments:
  • OpenPGP_0xFDC3040B92ACA748.asc
  • OpenPGP_signature.asc

Arch itself may have been generating debug packages since 2022, however it's only recently that makepkg started spitting out debug packages by default. The change was made all the way back in June of last year, but was only included in a pacman release at the beginning of February, as part of a pkgrel bump.

This came as a surprise to me as well, when I had -debug packages start showing up in my personal repository when they had not before, without any changes made on my end.

Personally I would have expected some sort of announcement for this change, though there was none.

Prior to needing to modify options, my changes to makepkg consisted of:

echo 'MAKEFLAGS="-j$(nproc)"' >> /etc/makepkg.conf

So yes, it's possible.

On that note, I'm building my packages using standard github actions; I don't believe those are multi-threaded anyway.

idem for me.
but I build packages very occasionally, so it's not a problem for me (I'll have a coffee in the meantime;-)).