Re: warning: directory permissions differ on /usr/lib/mysql/plugin/auth_pam_tool_dir/

On 2/10/24 17:39, mpan wrote:
   When these crop up from time to time on update, do we just fix them and move on, or it is worth digging into further to find out when and why the permissions changed?
  If you’re sure you never changed the permissions yourself and this is not a case of a conflict between packages, blindly applying changes is mostly fine: it’s just setting the defaults.

  If at least one of these is false or you’re not sure, you should make an informed decision.

Thanks,

Yes, that's what I envisioned. This install has been around since Jan 8, 2017 with mariadb installed as part of the base install.

[2017-01-08 06:54] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -r /mnt -Sy --cachedir=/mnt/var/cache/pacman/pkg --noconfirm base base-devel vim openssh rsync lynx lzop gtk2 fluxbox samba wget s-nail dovecot mariadb mariadb-clients nasm yasm'

Perhaps the install of the package as part of the actual Arch install (pacstrap type) set the overly restrictive directory permissions.

Going from a more restrictive permission to the package default passed the "makes sense" test, so I wasn't too worried about creating any additional problems with the change.

This doesn't occur too often, but I've seen it 20 or so times over the past 5-6 years or so. Sometimes there are flurries of changes when an actual package or group of packages change how they set permissions, but otherwise it's just a stray one-off every so often.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.