Re: Hardware tests and SSDs - Was: When I upgrade to dbus-broker should I expect anything to break?

Hello,

The issue with this however is that ext4 can't detect when bits have
rotted as there is no checksumming.

All mdadm knows is that the blocks are different and tries to resync
them, which will also sync the bit rot between them (you are basically
rolling a dice).

What it does protect against is entire drive failures, you have a
complete copy of the data, but that data can and will rot.

For daily use this is not a big deal, and I doubt most people would be
too fussed if some random file they have backed up rots on their local
machine, but in a server environment (such as storing backups or tax
forms), this is a big deal.

Take a look at the ArchWiki article [1] which explains this.

Take care,
--
Polarian
GPG signature: 0770E5312238C760