Hardware tests and SSDs - Was: When I upgrade to dbus-broker should I expect anything to break?

On Thu, 2024-01-11 at 09:34 +0000, pete wrote:
> for  the record  the Drives are all ok  memory  tested out ok   . see
> what happens  if it starts acting up again

Hi,

while I'm using only internal SSDs, no HDDs anymore, since many years, I
still don't have experiences with SSD failures. My desktop PC is quasi
24/7/365 up, with just short interruptions.

Is your Arch install on a SSD? If so, there's probably an issue related
to the "flash retention time".

If an SSD is not supplied with power, it loses data relatively quickly
even in the best condition. You can sometimes read that six months could
already be too long. I believe that when SSDs become old, the period of
time in which they can safely retain data without a power supply is
shortened. Reading about this just happens to be on my to-do list, just
like booting up my old desktop PC that hasn't been connected to the
mains for months, maybe even longer than half a year.

As it's on my todo list, I don't have any knowledge yet. It's just a
guess that an old or somehow damaged SSD might look good, pass write and
read tests, but the margin in which it can hold data without power might
be very, very short at some point.

Regards,
Ralf