Re: Arch Linux inside OSTree

You have a very fair take on this. Let me explain a few things:

> To make the comparison with installation on LUKS or LVM fair, the guide
> would explain how to install Arch Linux inside OSTree using only the
> core utilities of the OSTree project. Neither the LUKS nor the LVM
> installation guides are wholly dependent on the contents of a git
> repository whose description is "Scripts for generating my personal Arch
> setup as an ostree deployment."

1) That repository started out as a "personal rootfs generator" but
turned into a generic tool to generate any arch-based rootfs and also
install it from within the live ISO. The description is simply
outdated because I forgot to update it. On the top of the wiki page I
put a note that the guide is WIP and I would have improved it over the
coming weeks but it got moved faster than I was able to do so.
2) The tool "archlinux-ostree" exists because both creating a rootfs
and creating a new ostree system require to be in very specific
environments. The tool does that using podman-containers and chroots.
Also, one exception aside, the tool doesn't actually wrap any ostree
commands - it just sets up a certain environment and then either gives
you a shell(e.g. for installing the bootloader) or runs your
script(for generating a rootfs). So unfortunately, doing this without
arch-ostree is simply unrealistic and tedious. Personally I don't see
why not relying on simple tools would be a requirement though given
that even arch itself does that by providing tons of tools like
pacstrap or arch-chroot. My secret hope actually was to make the tool
good enough so it can be moved to the official archlinux gitlab and
turned into an official tool.

> As an Arch user who was not familiar with OSTree, I would find the wiki
> page more helpful if it started with a description of what OSTree is and
> why it is useful, with links to the official project and its
> documentation. Then, technical content that starts by explaining how to
> use the project's official tools to work with Arch and OSTree together.
> Finally, if your script allows users to do something that is not
> possible using the project's official tools (like overlaying pacman to
> update an image, maybe), then its use and why it is necessary would
> follow in a later section.

That's very valuable feedback, thanks. I probably would have added a
lot of that information later on, but it's great to have feedback with
actual expectations from a reader.