Re: Arch Linux inside OSTree

On Sunday, 31 December 2023 at 19:09 (+0100), Michael Zimmermann wrote:
I've put some work into making it easy to install Arch Linux inside OSTree. I have started creating a guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Install_Arch_Linux_inside_OSTree with the intention of that being just another installation method like LUKS or LVM.

To make the comparison with installation on LUKS or LVM fair, the guide would explain how to install Arch Linux inside OSTree using only the core utilities of the OSTree project. Neither the LUKS nor the LVM installation guides are wholly dependent on the contents of a git repository whose description is "Scripts for generating my personal Arch setup as an ostree deployment."

Unfortunately, the page was moved to my personal space with the reason: "personal install guide for the author's os-tree wrapper, does not belong in the official namespace". This sounds like the Arch Linux project doesn't want to support this installation method. Is that correct? If yes, why?

I am not a wiki contributor, but it seems clear that your utility's own description motivates the maintainer's view that your method is a personal install guide. To my eye, it appears more like a way to promote your script than a way to teach Arch users haw to use OSTree. If you want to promote your utility to other Arch users, a better place to start than writing a wiki page would be to use the "Community Contributions" forum [1].

As an Arch user who was not familiar with OSTree, I would find the wiki page more helpful if it started with a description of what OSTree is and why it is useful, with links to the official project and its documentation. Then, technical content that starts by explaining how to use the project's official tools to work with Arch and OSTree together. Finally, if your script allows users to do something that is not possible using the project's official tools (like overlaying pacman to update an image, maybe), then its use and why it is necessary would follow in a later section.

Best,
Jaron

[1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewforum.php?id=27