Re: btrfs advice needed

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 11:59:05AM +0000, Paul Dann wrote:
> > I would like to know how to prevent btrfs corruption in the first place.
> >

> Use a more stable filesystem? 😂 Really sorry, but you walked right into
> that one. It sucks that it got corrupted, and I believe it's less prone to
> corruption than it used to be, but personally I still avoid it because it's
> only just reaching maturity. I hope you have some backups of anything
> important.

I would say that the core of btrfs is definitely stable* and usable, and
I use it as the root filesystem on all of my laptops, desktops, servers,
and a few ARM single-board computers. I have never had it randomly
corrupt without there being some failure of the underlying storage, and
in fact I find that btrfs is more likely to show you issues with your
storage early, when you still have the chance to recover things.

For example, in Jude's post to the btrfs-dev mailing list, this log
line:

> [    1.647025] BTRFS info (device sda2): bdev /dev/sda2 errs: wr 0, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 16, gen 0

tells you that this particular filesystem has seen 16 silent
corruptions. In other words, the disk returned blocks that were
different from what was written without giving any explicit errors.
Almost no other filesystem will give you that kind of information.

As an aside to Jude, your message to the btrfs mailing list does not
include any actual error messages. Does the partition actually mount
successfully? If so, then there is likely nothing to repair, and I would
focus on trying to find the cause of the corruptions (typically faulty
RAM or a failing hard drive).

--Sean

* So long as you do not use parity raid or quotas.