Re: archinstall mystery

Hello,

Personally I would recommend systemd-boot, it is a lot more simple to
deal with, and also is a hundred times more reliable than grub.

I am aware there is a lot of people who are against using systemd
"bloat", but systemd-boot "just works", its configuration files are
simpler too.

See the following wiki page:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot

Note, you should have the following setup before attempting to follow
this:

ESP partition mounted to /boot
(https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide#Mount_the_file_systems),
this MUST be FAT32, and MUST have the correct partition type (EFI
system).

This allows for it to be properly detected and read.

You MUST have UEFI booted, and not booted via CSM (or bios if your
device is REALLY old), otherwise the efivars will be missing, see:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide#Verify_the_boot_mode

Now the other things are optional, you could have a swap partition with
the type of "Linux Swap".

You must also have a filesystem with type "Linux Filesystem", this can
be ext4, btrfs, whatever floats your boat.

Optional partitions can be made, for example a lot of people like to
make a separate partition for /home, detachable home directories allow
for reinstallation without overwriting your user data, so in other
words, you can preserve your rice and documents while changing the
underlying system.

Personally, I think that people still promoting grub are causing many
issues, sure grub is useful (especially when you do not support
efivars), but for UEFI boots, systemd-boot is so much more convenient.

Personally I use EFISTUB most of the time, I think one of my servers is
systemd-boot'ed simply because I was lazy that day :P

Hope this helps, in general you will get there eventually, so good luck
:)

Take care,
--
Polarian